DIY Dishwasher tablets? Whaaat??? Mind blown. I have to admit, that this was the first ‘proper’ low tox DIY I did when I made, and I have to say, to this day, I still thank those DIY Dishwasher tablets as they led me on this wonderful journey!
I have since refined the recipe and am super happy with how well they work, and how easy (and inexpensive) they are to make. Because of this, I often give my homemade Dishwasher Tablets as gifts. It’s the best way to convince people that they don’t need to spend a fortune on commercial, store-bought products – once you try it, you won’t go back!
- Large bowl
- Spoon or spatula
- Spray bottle
- Silicone mould or ice-cube tray
- 30 drops citrus essential oil see notes below for ideas
- Add citrus essential oil/s, then mix and use spoon or spatula to break up any clumps
- Spray water into mixture, stirring as you add the water. Don’t add the water too quickly or the washing soda and citric acid will fizz and react too much - slower is better
- Stop adding the water once the mixture is the consistency of slightly damp sand. The mixture should clump together when you squeeze it, but fall apart if you drop the clump into the bowl. If it’s too wet, don’t worry, you can add more washing soda to dry it out. If it’s not wet enough, spritz it with a little more water.
- Scoop the mixture into the silicone mould or ice-cube tray. Use the back of a wooden spoon and your fingers to firmly press the mixture into the mould
- Let them dry and harden overnight
- When they’re completely dry, pop them out of the mould and put them into an airtight container
- On Guard