Who’d have thought you can make your own Disposable Baby Wipes? We want the best for our babies, so why would we use store-bought chemical-laden wipes against their precious sensitive skin? I get it, the convenience of having the packet there, but seriously, these are so quick and easy to make. Plus, you can still use your wipes in the nappy bag, just chuck a few in a ziploc bag or container* before you head out.
Give it a go and it will become second nature. You will wonder why you didn’t start doing it sooner! Once my daughter was old enough, she used to love helping me make them.
You may like to also check out my Reusable Wipes recipe. Personally, I make both – I keep the reusable ones at the change table and the disposable ones in the bedroom for the late night and early changes (our babe sleeps in a co-sleeper in our room).
*If you are trying to make more environmentally sound choices, and wish to support small Australian business, you may want to check out Laminated Cotton Shop. I use their reusable food bags for heaps of things – including taking my DIY Baby Wipes on the go.
Disposable Baby Wipes
- Jug or bowl
- Spoon or whisk for stirring
- 1 roll premium paper towel I like the Quilton Tuffy brand which you can buy in Australia at Woolworths. See notes for making reusable wipes.
- 1¼ cups distilled water or boiled then cooled filtered water
- 1½ tbsp Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 3 drops Lavender essential oil
- 3 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- Get your paper towel ready by cutting it in half with a serrated or electric knife. Use half of the roll now and save the other half for next time (or use it to make Kitchen & Bathroom Cleaning Wipes). Put your 1/2 roll in your Wipes Container and set aside.
- Add water, Fractionated Coconut Oil, and essential oils in a small bowl and stir/whisk to combine
- Pour the mixture over the paper towel. The capillary action means the liquid will creep up the paper towel for an even moisture level (this may take up to 10 minutes)
- Remove and discard the cardboard from the middle and pull up the wipes from the centre ready for use, then pop on the lid