Maintaining your diffuser will ensure it’s longevity, increase the diffusion rate, and ensure you are diffusing your chosen oils each time (some oils like to stick around….and you may not want Oregano spoiling your Citrus Bliss moments!).
You should be using a cool mist diffuser to enjoy your oils aromatically, as these types of diffusers create a lovely cool mist which does not alter the properties of the oils (if you still have one of those oil burners with the tea-light candles underneath, it’s time to ditch it!).
Ultrasonic cool mist diffusers disperse water and oils into the air as negative ions. They contain an ultrasonic chip which vibrates to break down the essential oils into micro-particles. This allows the oil to be dispersed as a very fine mist, mixed with steam, into the air. They are very quiet, which makes them ideal for relaxing, sleeping and working.
How do I keep my diffuser running in top shape?
I use my diffusers daily and I use the the below schedule:
Daily: Best practice for maintaining your diffuser is to wipe it out with a tissue or soft cloth between each use.
Weekly (or if you have diffused a ‘heavy’ or strong oil such as Vetiver or Oregano): Diffuse Lemon essential oil for a few minutes, or spray a mix of vinegar and Lemon essential oil before wiping it out with a tissue or soft cloth. This makes it easier to clean off the oils and water marks between uses.
Monthly: It’s important to also deep clean your diffusers every month to make sure you get into the crevices and keep the Ultrasonic Disc clean and clear of residue. Pick a day (like first Sunday of the month), or put a reminder in your phone. I really notice if I forget to do a deep clean!
Deep Clean instructions
- Turn off your diffuser.
- Fill the water reservoir about half way with water.
- Add a splash (1tbsp) white vinegar to the water reservoir along with a couple of drops of Lemon Oil.
- Turn the diffuser on and let it run for 3-5 minutes. This will be dispersing vinegar, so I recommend abstaining from taking a huge whiff!
- Turn the diffuser back off and tip the contents down the sink.
- Dip a cotton swab in white vinegar and wipe down the edges and crevices of the water reservoir, as well as the ultrasonic mist chip.
- Rinse the water reservoir with clean water.
- Wipe the reservoir with a dry cloth and let it air dry before using it again.
It seems like quite a process, but it really is pretty simple once you get in the habit of it!